Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Apple Fritters!

Okay, so usually we put some super healthy yet still super yummy recipe on here to share. But today with this amazing fall weather we are experiencing here in Colorado - a very rare non-frost, no random snow flakes kind of fall the likes of which we rarely ever see - I felt compelled to bake something sweet and sugary to enjoy outside in the grass with a couple of glasses of cider. Because sometimes a beautiful day calls for a decadent treat and these apple fritters definitely are just that!

Ingredients

(adapted from Southern Plate Cookbook)
2 cups self-rising flour
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1 teaspoon Apple Pie Spice (substituted for cinnamon)
1 cup milk
3 TBS butter, melted
2 large eggs
2 medium Granny Smith apples, peeled and diced (substituted for 2 cups apples)
powdered sugar, optional

Before preparing the batter, I pulled out my trusty cast iron skillet and filled it about 1/2 inch deep with pure vegetable oil (add more for larger fritters like I made to avoid scorching the bottom of the fritters) and placed it over a medium heat (4 on an electric stove).

While the oil is heating, combine the flour, brown sugar and apple pie spice in a large mixing bowl. I used a fork (as suggested in the cookbook) to mix the ingredients and break up any clumps, which could probably be avoided by sifting the dry ingredients beforehand.

While the fritters would be incredible with just about any baking apple, I chose my all time favorite, the Granny Smith. It gave the fritters that extra little kick of sour to balance all of the sweetness of the batter.

Add the milk, butter and eggs to the dry ingredients and stir well. Add diced apples and stir.

With the batter and oil now ready, I used an ice cream scoop to add about 4 to 5 dollops of batter to the hot oil. My first batch turned out some rather large fritters, so for the additional ones, I only filled the scoop about half way.

At this point I wish I had used a timer so I could say exactly how long each side spent frying but I would guess it wasn’t anymore than 2 minutes per side, probably even less. I just used a metal straining spoon to lift the edge and see how brown it was getting every 30 seconds or so. Once brown, just carefully flip each fritter over to cook on the other side.

*recipe courtesy of Oh My Sugar High.

Even Mish+Mash homemade has a sweet tooth! Yum!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails