Sunday, July 11, 2010

Good Food = Good Health


So how did my passion for healthy food get started? I've always loved to cook with fabulous ingredients - give me a recipe with an out of the ordinary root vegetable or spice any day. But after reading Michael Pollans, "In Defense of Food" while I was pregnant with Sofia my love for good food took on a whole new meaning. He states it so simply "eat mostly vegetables" and "eat real food". Seems simple enough right? And really it is just that simple. I did a lot of research while I was pregnant regarding what I should be feeding my baby while she was in utero. I cut out white flour, white sugar, and ate lots of fruits and veggies - all organic. I made sure I was taking a great pre-natal and adding omega 3 and folic acid where ever I could. So once Sofia began with solids it seemed silly that I would just stop making sure she continued to get the best nutrition possible from the foods she ate. Another book I came across that talks about the benefits of a diet rich in wholesome ingredients is "101 Foods that Can Save Your Life" by David Grotto. If your interested in knowing how adding a little cinnamon to your child's applesauce can be more than just for the taste this is a really interesting and well written guide to what added benefits certain foods can contain and how best to prepare them in order to maintain their nutritional values. 

Being summer I have been experimenting with all sorts of yummy smoothie options for Sofia & me. I have never given her store bought juice and wanted to start to incorporate drinks other than milk, soy milk, and water into her life. My friends sister Jill who is an acupuncturist in Connecticut raising twin baby boys posted a super yummy recipe on Facebook recently that I couldn't wait to try on Sofia. So I thought I'd share it with everyone. It's a way to think about how to add essential nutrients into your families diet. I always try to add a little flax seed, amarinth,  various seeds, nuts,  or wheat germ into our food whenever I can as well as herbs and spices. Think about all the impact these added nutrient boosts can have on your little ones development and your families overall health. You'll be surprised at just how good it makes you feel as well. I have never been good about taking vitamins everyday except while I was pregnant so for me getting them from the foods I eat makes it much easier to make sure I am staying as healthy as I can not just for myself but for my family as well. 

Jill's Super Baby Power Smoothie!

1 cup strawberries + 2 cups watermelon + 1 leaf rainbow chard + 2 tbsp chia seeds = nutrient dense babies

Nutrient Info:

Chia seeds are high in Omega-3. The high antioxidant levels in strawberries can help the body neutralize the destructive effects of free radicals. It is said that watermelons strengthen the immune system and help the body in fighting off infection. Rainbow Chard is considered a super veggie because of its high  concentrations of vitamin K, vitamin A, vitamin C, magnesium, manganese, potassium, iron, vitamin E, and dietary fiber. 

Thank Jill for sharing! 

1 comment:

  1. For cooking and baking, it is so easy to sneak the healthiest whole food on earth into my kids food by adding Running Food Chia Flour. Apparently the Aztecs dicovered chia and they called it "Running Food". Running Food Chia Flour is the best product I have ever used. They are an awesome company and I recommend them highly. Their staff is super smart and they treat you like gold.

    Check out the testimonials on their site - incredible!
    www.runningfood.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails