Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Homemade Play-Doh


What mama doesn't love the Hallmark moment of her little one helping in the kitchen? I can't wait to have A. help me peel, grate, cut dough, mix, and learn that cooking is a totally rewarding and special process. The only problem is that she's 1 and 1/2, and before all of you Montessori friends remind me that she CAN help in the kitchen (and I know she can do a handful of kitchen chores) there are times when I just want to make my chicken picatta or oatmeal cookies without interruption or a request for a "yik" from the bowl.

A possible solution- for at least five minutes- is homemade play-doh. I love that my baker-in-training can roll this, use plastic cookie cutters, and throw around balls of it. She even sticks to it for a good five minutes, which for me is golden opportunity to test out new Mish Mash recipes. It couldn't hurt her if she ate a little, and it only takes one "yik" for her to decide it isn't too tasty. I hope you enjoy this for your little baker-in-training, too!
(courtesy of cooks.com)

PLAYDOH
1 c. flour
1 c. boiling water
2 tbsp. cream of tartar
1/2 c. salt
1 tbsp. oil
Food coloring
Mix and knead together. This playdoh is not sticky and does not dry out. Higher altitudes may require adding a bit more flour.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails