Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Pumpkin Pancake Revision and Book Rec


Last night at an in-home workshop, I was speaking with a mom who uses our blog recipes (yay!) and we were commiserating about my pumpkin pancake post. I posted that recipe based on another time I had tried it and it worked, but people, I have to revise. Sorry. The old one just doesn't cook as well as I remembered- it's too wet and the middle always remains, well, wet. My little one still gobbled them (what a nice taste tester!) but my honest taste testers called for a revision. Thanks, Meg, for bringing it up, and thanks for following! I guess cooking, just like anything, calls for adaptations and adjustments now and then.

So I'm going to delete the old one and share this one from Allrecipes.com- a great resource with ratings from folks who have tried the recipes. Notice that it uses white flour which would soak up the moisture better, but uses a whole lot less butter. It claims to be fluffy- I'm going to test it out soon.

Another book rec I'd like to share from a mommy point of view is Happiest Toddler on the Block, by Harvey Karp, MD. Yes, the guy who we all know wrote Happiest Baby on the Block also wrote a toddler book, and I was surprised at how helpful this one was. He has a refreshing view of toddlerhood and its developmental stages, along with ways to be proactively reinforcing about positive behaviors and nip "yellow" and "red" light behaviors in the bud. Every strategy I've tried has worked from this book. He also goes over the few things we really can't control about toddlers: what they eat and when they go potty, and uses the strategies he teaches to help you along on those journeys.

Happy reading, and let me know about those pancakes!


2 comments:

  1. I made this pancake recipe and it was delish. I used some whole grain pancake mix i had on hand instead of flour and baking soda, etc and also added some flax seed. I froze what we didn't eat (wrapped in wax paper) and just reheated them this morning. Even my child (who defines picky eater) scarfed them up. Highly recommend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, so glad! We loved it too. Thanks for responding, Allison!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails