Thursday, May 20, 2010

Curry Chickpeas

One of the things I've learned as Ava gets older is that our day revolves around eating, and SNACKS are a constant around here. No matter when we go out, I have to bring a snack to ensure a successful trip. Yesterday, while trying to get errands done, I brought Happy Belly puffs (made with veggies). As much as I know they're better than other sugary brands, I gotta say, Ava could have eaten the whole container and still been hungry. Not good when we had a shopping marathon to complete. It was time for me to problem solve.

The reason the kiddo was so hungry is that even for snacks, there has to be more than a carb or fruit. Toddlers (and all of us, for that matter) need a good balance of protein, carbs, and fats along with the fruits and veggies, or else we'll be "cranky pants" in no time.

I stumbled upon this fantastic recipe just in time to solve our need for on-the-go dry snacks and picnicking. It would be great for toddlers who can chew on small crackers, and like to carry their snacks around in containers. It's aromatic, spicy, and a crunchy protein all in one, and it's surprising how many children accept the taste of curry. If they like crunch, this should become an instant fave. And it took no time at all to make. Ava said "mo" right away.... and we shopped again today with no hunger issues. :) Nicole and I will continue to bring you snacks like these to help you replace the usual store-bought go-tos.

Curry Chickpeas

Makes 1 1/2 cups

Ingredients:
1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1/4 tsp curry or more to taste
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp salt

Directions:
Rinse and drain chickpeas. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. On baking sheet, mix chickpeas and spices. Roast chickpeas on baking sheet about 35 to 40 min., stirring every ten minutes with a spatula so they cook evenly but don't stick to the pan. Chickpeas will be deep golden brown in color and crispy.
Let cool.

3 comments:

  1. What a great idea!!! Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, we tried these and I love them! Didn't have curry, so I subbed ginger... and it was GREAT! My 20 month old helped me stir all the spices in and watched them back AND... (drumroll) she gobbled them! :) Thanks for sharing this super easy recipe!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails