Monday, May 24, 2010

Favorite Muffins


I've tested this recipe from the cookbook Petit Appetit out several times, and it's been a hit with our girls and all kids I've met so far. Added bonus: my husband and I also enjoy these muffins, and all I have to do is make some in a mini muffin tin and some in a regular muffin tin- voila! Perfect option for having families over for brunch! Really, you could make these for anyone. That's the beauty of finding tasty, fabulous foods for your little one- they can usually please all ages.

You could certainly add a handful of berries, a bit of flax seed, or some other yummy nutritious add-on here. These are great for the 9-12 month range and up, as they are easily taken apart to turn into instant, soft finger food for your independent little self-feeder. Be sure you've already introduced wheat and eggs before giving these muffins to baby.

Mini Banana Apple Bran Muffins

Makes 24 mini muffins or 12 regular muffins
Ingredients:
1 cup organic whole wheat flour
1/2 cup organic oat bran
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup butter, unsalted
3/4 cup organic applesauce or apple puree (you could sub pear puree also)
3 medium organic bananas, 1 mashed and 2 sliced
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
2 eggs
Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 375. Grease 24 min i muffin cups or 12 regular.

2. With fork, combine flour, bran, baking soda, and salt. Melt butter and in large bowl, combine butter, applesauce, mashed banana, sugar, and eggs. Mix together with a rubber spatula. Add flour mixture to wet mixture and stir until just blended. Batter will be lumpy and very moist.

3. Spoon into muffin cups, filling 2/3 full. Place banana slice on top of each muffin. Bake 12 min for mini, 15-18 for regular or until brown and set. Cool for 5 min before turning out muffins.

7 comments:

  1. OOhhh, I like this site!!! I have a Baby Foodie section on my blog and am always looking for new recipes to make for him. I made a Quinoa banana muffin for my almost 1 year old and he LOVED it!!!
    http://andpuppydogstales.blogspot.com/2010/05/baby-foodie-banana-quinoa-muffins.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing this recipe! We'll have to try it--- we're big fans of any muffins. :) Thanks for reading.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum, yum! Okay girls, I was so inspired by your workshop last night that I made these muffins this morning (with Maxwell's help)! I added blueberries, ground flax seed, wheat germ, a little oatmeal and some spinach--oh my they are good! I just needed a little inspiration I guess. Thanks for your inspiration!!
    -S

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are so good, but i end up needing to freeze some of them. Last time I did this, the banana slice didn't freeze so well. So i left it off a few this time to freeze. But do you have any other suggestiongs?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Allison-
    Thanks for your inquiry! Freezing is a great option. I would leave the bananas off as you mentioned and actually just add that extra banana to the mix- they are still quite wonderful and have that extra bit of potassium. You can also add other fruits as above. They should freeze well- just make sure to keep well covered to avoid frostbite.
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  6. Made these again this morning and added some honey, tahini butter and Ghirardelli milk chocolate chips--they are to die for! Just thought I'd let you know that we appreciate all you do and I love love many of your recipes! Maxwell ate too many of the chocolate chips while we were making them though so I couldn't get him to eat a muffin once they were done...more for me. :)))
    -Stacey Kelly

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails