Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Party Countdown Part 2


When I was putting together the menu I had to consider budget, the number of people I needed to feed, food that is appealing to both kids and adults, and food that is easy to eat buffet style. Turkey Meatballs seemed to be a good choice in covering all the bases. I needed to find a recipe that would make them moist and yummy enough to be able to be eaten at room temperature and without any messy marinara sauce. This is a recipe I originally found in a cookbook called Time for Dinner which I blogged about previously. The recipe calls for Veal but I simply substituted it for Ground Turkey. I made some super cute little polka dot flags atop of rounded toothpicks to put into each one. (I will post pics of all the little crafty decor projects I did because I like to consider myself the Indie Martha Stewart - we all have our fantasies right?)

Mini Turkey Meatballs

(adapted from Time for Dinner )

1 cup fresh breadcrumbs

3/4 cup chopped fresh parsley

1 large egg, lightly beaten

salt and pepper to taste (turkey needs lots of help in the seasoning department keep that in mind)

1 1/2 pound ground turkey thigh

1/2 cup whole milk

3/4 cup ricotta

1/4 cup freshly grate parmesan

Combine the bread crumbs and milk in a small bowl, let sit for 5 to 10 minutes. In a medium bowl, combine the ricotta, Parmesan, parsley, egg, salt, and pepper. Heat 2 tablespoons of butter and 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a Saute pan over medium . Stir the crumb mixture with a wooden spoon until well combined. Gently work the turkey into the mixture. Shape the meat into small balls, packing them loosely. Add them to the pan and reduce heat to medium/low - simmer them for about 10 - 15 minutes per side depending on the size of the meatball.


Tomorrow we are talking salads without the lettuce!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails